He joined the Firm in 2012. He joined the Firm in 2012.
As former Consultant to the Legislative and Legal Direction of The Italian Regulatory Authority for Electricity and Gas, he concentrates on the domestic and EU Regulatory framework of the Electricity and Natural Gas markets.
Daily activity consists of advising and assistance to a wide portfolio of Clients (private and public
companies/multiutilities active in the energy/water/waste markets) on regulatory, administrative and
antitrust matters. Francesco Piron’s practice focuses on Italian and European Community administrative
regulation and antitrust law, with a component of administrative litigation and dispute resolution. He
regularly assists many of his Clients before the Italian Regulatory Authority (“ARERA”) and/or the
Ministry of Industry (MiSE), G.S.E. and G.M.E.
- Representing a British multinational operator before the ARERA and MiSE (on a project of an LNG Terminal in the South of Italy) to obtain exemption from the third party access obligations for 80% of its regasification capacity; advising the same company on the compliance of the national regulatory and antitrust laws.
- Representing several natural gas distribution operators in administrative lawsuits before Tar Lombardia and the Supreme Administrative Court (Consiglio di Stato) concerning the challenge of several decisions of the regulatory authority mainly connected to gas tariff setting (level and price-cap).
- Representing 20 electricity trading companies on the vast investigation and mandatory proceedings carried out by ARERA concerning the alleged illegitimate behaviour in the wholesale electricity markets particularly in network balancing (i.e. alleged unbalanced programming in terms of quantity and
duration); representing the same companies in the sanctioning proceedings initiated by ARERA for alleged violation of the sector regulation; representing the same companies before the Administrative Courts to challenge ARERA’s resolutions on the wholesale electricity markets
- Advising, as from 2009, an Association of 18 independent gas and electricity suppliers on various regulatory and contractual issues (like: quality of service, teleselling, Privacy, unbundling, web compliance regulations, safety standards, general conditions of supply, compliance with domestic consumer and antitrust laws).
- Representing several multi-utility operators before the Administrative Courts on public incentives (from GSE) litigation.
Law Degree at the University of Firenze, magna cum laude, in 1994. Master course in European Law at The London School of Economics and Political Science, London (1995). Diploma Course in EC Competition Law (Professor Richard Whish) at King’s College London (1996). He also obtained a Master on “The economics of competition and regulation in the public utilities” (areas of specialisation: Energy-Gas) at the University of Rome, “Tor Vergata – C.E.I.S.” (Faculty of Economics, 2002). He was appointed as "Cultore della materia" at University of Milan, “Bicocca” (Faculty of Economics, 2004). He was in service traineeship at the European Commission, Directorate General IV – Competition at DG IV (2002), as assistant to the Director of Unit F1 (Mechanical, electrical engineering and other manufacturing industries). He served an in service traineeship also at the “Presidenza dei Consiglio dei Ministri” – Italian Government (2003) collaborating with the team in charge for drafting of the ENERGY PAPER by which the Italian Government express to the European Commission (spring 2003) its position on the liberalisation process in the energy field. Admitted to represent clients before the Supreme Court of Cassation (2014).
TOP LEGAL AWARDS – 2019
Studio dell’Anno Contenzioso Autorità indipendenti
Ha colpito la giuria per la gestione del contenzioso promosso da Ascotrade contro l’Arera in materia di bilanciamento del gas naturale. Nonostante la complessità e l’elevato livello tecnico della materia, la difesa ha ottenuto l’accoglimento della domanda cautelare.
LEGAL 500 – 2019
The energy and natural resources practice group at Macchi di Cellere Gangemi is active in corporate and M&A, administrative litigation and antitrust. Claudio Visco is the head of the team. The firm acted for a group of 20 electricity traders in proceedings concerning imbalances in the flow of electricity before the Italian Regulatory Authority for Energy. Francesco Piron is recommended for his knowledge of administrative law.
TOP LEGAL AWARDS – 2018
Studio dell’anno REGOLAMENTARE
MOTIVAZIONE: Ha affiancato il player internazionale Iberdrola nell’ingresso nel mercato retail della fornitura di energia e gas sul mercato energetico liberalizzato in Italia. Lo Studio ha affiancato Iberdrola in merito alla nuova campagna pubblicitaria, prestando consulenza su tutte le questioni relative a concorrenza sleale e privacy, antitrust e diritto consumeristico, nonché sul codice di condotta commerciale ARERA.
TOP LEGAL AWARDS – 2018
Studio dell’anno RINNOVABILI
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi è il miglior studio dell’anno nel settore rinnovabili. Costantemente aggiornato sui temi amministrativi e regolamentari, assiste numerosi operatori del settore, tra cui Hera e Falck Renewables, in tema di incentivazione Cip 6 e certificati verdi, materia di nicchia e fortemente innovativa che richiede un constante confronto con le Autorità del settore.
LEGAL 500 – 2016
Dispute resolution: Macchi di Cellere Gangemi’s Francesco Piron represents Ryanair against Rimini Airport in a dispute pertaining to airport charges. Other fields of contentious expertise include energy, IP, finance and commercial litigation.
Admitted to Italian Bar in 1998. Member of the Milan Bar. Member of the International Bar Association (IBA) and of the British Italian Law Association (BILA).
Languages: English, Italian